Why You Should Always Wear a Hard Hat on the Job Site
If you work in construction, mining, manufacturing, or any other industry that involves working at height or with heavy machinery, you know how important it is to protect your head from potential hazards. A hard hat is a vital piece of personal protective equipment (PPE) that can save your life in case of an accident. In this blog post, we will explain why wearing a hard hat is essential, what types of hard hats are available, and how to care for your hard hat properly.
The Benefits of Wearing a Hard Hat
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, head injuries account for 9% of all injuries to laborers1. That’s roughly 252,000 injuries just in the US alone. Wearing hard hats can greatly reduce your chance of head injury by:
- Resisting penetration by objects that may fall or fly through the air, such as tools, debris, or metal shards.
- Absorbing the shock from a blow to the head by an object, such as a beam, a pipe, or a vehicle.
- Protecting against electrical hazards by providing insulation from live wires or equipment.
- Preventing cuts, burns, or abrasions from sharp or hot surfaces.
Wearing a hard hat can also prevent more serious consequences, such as traumatic brain injuries and death. In 2012, more than 1,000 workers died from head injuries sustained on the job2. Many of these fatalities could have been avoided if the workers had worn proper head protection.
The Types of Hard Hats
Not all hard hats are created equal. Depending on the nature of your work and the risks involved, you may need a different type of hard hat to suit your needs. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) states that hard hats must meet the standards set by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). ANSI classifies hard hats into three industrial classes:
- Class G - General Helmet: These hard hats provide protection against impact and object penetration. Their voltage protection is limited to 2,200 volts.
- Class E - Electrical Helmet: These hard hats provide the most protection against electrical hazards (up to 20,000 volts). They also protect against impact and penetration hazards from falling or flying objects.
- Class C - Conductive Helmet: These hard hats are lightweight and comfortable, but they offer no protection against electrical hazards. They only protect against impact and penetration hazards from falling or flying objects.
You should always check the label inside the shell of your hard hat to see what class it belongs to and what level of protection it offers. You should also make sure that your hard hat fits well and has a suspension system that suspends the shell about 1 inch to 1¼ inches away from your head2. This creates a cushion of air that helps absorb the force of an impact.
The Care and Maintenance of Your Hard Hat
To ensure that your hard hat performs well and lasts long, you should follow these tips for caring for your hard hat:
- Clean and inspect your hard hat daily. Look for cracks, dents, holes, or other signs of damage that may compromise its integrity. If you find any defects, replace your hard hat immediately.
- Avoid exposing your hard hat to extreme temperatures, sunlight, chemicals, or solvents. These can weaken the shell or reduce its electrical resistance. Consult the manufacturer if you are unsure what products you can use to clean your hard hat.
- Do not apply stickers, labels, or paint to your hard hat. These can hide defects or damage the shell. They can also affect the visibility and identification of your hard hat.
- Do not drill holes or modify your hard hat in any way. This can alter its structure and reduce its effectiveness.
- Replace your hard hat every five years or sooner if it shows signs of wear and tear. Even if your hard hat looks fine, it may have deteriorated over time due to exposure to environmental factors.
Where to Buy Quality Hard Hats
If you are looking for quality hard hats that meet ANSI standards and OSHA regulations, look no further than [GIBADI]. GIBADI is Nigeria’s leading online industrial supplies store that offers a wide range of safety equipment at affordable prices. Whether you need a Class G, E, or C hard hat, GIBADI has it all. You can also find other PPE items such as safety glasses, gloves, boots, vests, and more.
GIBADI is committed to providing excellent customer service and fast delivery across Nigeria. You can order online anytime and anywhere with just a few clicks. You can also enjoy discounts and deals when you shop with GIBADI.
Don’t take chances with your head. Protect it with a quality hard hat from GIBADI today!